This provides an integration with MailChimp (a email delivery service) and makes it possible to create and send MailChimp emails directly from your website.
PREPARE TO USE THE MAILCHIMP MODULE
- Sign up for a MailChimp.com account
Create your list through MailChimp
- MailChimp provides instructions for creating your first list here: http://kb.mailchimp.com/lists/growth/create-a-new-list
Obtain your MailChimp API key
- Log in to your MailChimp.com account
- Click your profile name to expand the Account Panel, and choose Account.
- Click the Extras drop-down menu and choose API keys.
- Copy an existing API key or click the Create A Key button.
- Name your key descriptively, so you know what application uses that key.
- Make note of this key, you will need it later when configuring the MailChimp module.
CONFIGURE THE MAILCHIMP MODULE
NOTE: This module will be enabled on IC sites upon request. If you would like to give it a try, please send us a request from the Store Features page (Store > Configuration > Account Information and Preferences > Store Features).
Navigate to: Configuration > Web Services > MailChimp
- Enter the API Key you previously obtained from MailChimp.com
- Save Configuration
CREATE AND PLACE A SIGN-UP FORM ON YOUR WEBSITE
Navigate to: Configuration > Web Services > MailChimp > Signup Forms
- Select ‘Add mailchimp sign-up’
- Enter a ‘Title’ - Example: Subscribe To Our Email list
- Description (optional)
Select a ‘Display mode’
Set the ‘Display Settings’
- Page URL (only available if the ‘Display mode’ is set to ‘Page’) - this is the path to the signup page. Example: newsletter/join
- Submit Button Label - This is the text displayed on the ‘Submit’ button. Example: Subscribe
- Confirmation Message - This is the message displayed after their request has been submitted. Example: You have been successfully subscribed.
- Form destination page - Enter the page path you would like users to be redirected to after submitting their request. If utilizing this field the above field ‘Confirmation Message’ should be left blank.
Select which list(s) a user can subscribe to when completing this form.
- You should see any lists you have previously created in MailChimp available here. If you did not create any lists through MailChimp please refer to the first section of this document ‘Prepare To Use The MailChimp Module’ - Step 2.
- Select which ‘Merge Fields’ are displayed on the registration form
Enable additional subscription settings (optional)
- Require subscribers to Double Opt-in
- Send a welcome email to new subscribers
- Include interest groups on subscription form
If you created a block it can now be placed in a region of your choice by navigating to Structure > Blocks. If you created a page it can now be added in a menu to be easily navigated to.
When a user subscribes to your email list through your website it synchronizes to Mailchimp within 15 minutes.
OTHER INTEGRATION OPTIONS
- MailChimp: MailChimp provides a pop-up option configurable through the MailChimp interface. Additional details and instructions can be found under 'Using the MailChimp Pop-up'.
- MailMunch: MailMunch is a third-party service, providing multiple opt-in form options for capturing email addresses from site visitors and integrates with MailChimp, Constant Contact, and other email marketing software easily to send emails to those captured email address. These options include opt-in form formats such as Pop-up, Floating bar, Scroll-box, and Embedded. Additional details and instructions for MailMunch can be found under ‘MailMunch Integration’.
NOTE: We have found the MailMunch Pop-up to be more user-friendly than the MailChimp option.