- Independent oversight of all day-to-day bookstore and lab operations, including customer service, merchandising, stock and supply management, daily scheduling, cash management and facility upkeep/cleaning.
- Coordination of purchasing, receiving, inventory management, shipping and returns.
- Management of on-site and off-site event booking and logistics, including scheduling, staffing, and stocking.
- Preparation and coordination, with owners, of store budgets, invoicing, and accounts payable.
- Development and continuous improvement of operating policies, systems and procedures.
- Recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling, and full day-to-day supervision of staff.
- 4+ years of management experience in an organization that involves work with children.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and customer service abilities.
- Strong organizational abilities and attention to detail.
- Ability to work well with others to get the job done and tolerate stress when faced with pressure, uncertainty, or last-minute changes.
- Able to communicate with owners, staff, customers, and the community at large in a positive and helpful manner while simultaneously building credibility and rapport.
- Passion for and knowledge of children’s literature.
- High level of proficiency with computer systems, including word processing, spreadsheets, calendaring and e-mail; Google’s G Suite is preferred.
- Scheduling flexibility, including ability to work weekends and evenings.
- Ability to bend, reach, lift boxes of 30-40 lbs and go up and down stairs throughout the day.
Little Shop of Stories is searching for a full-time person to work as an events coordinator and also as a bookseller. We need a creative and detail-oriented person who can supervise staff, coordinate with local schools, and oversee social media. We offer a dynamic work environment with enthusiastic colleagues within a supportive community. The ideal start date is in February 2017.
Little Shop of Stories is an 11-year-old children’s bookstore located in Decatur, Georgia, a wonderful community contiguous with the city of Atlanta. We strive, on a daily basis, to be a leading children’s bookseller and to serve our community to the best of our abilities.
- Coordinate author events with publishers, local schools, various outside venues, and shop staff
- Oversee social media
- All duties related to being an awesome children’s bookseller
Ideal Skills / Knowledge
- A deep knowledge of, and true passion for, children’s literature
- The ability to deliver outstanding customer service
- The ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Thorough familiarity with social media
- 2+ years of experience within the publishing/bookselling industry
Email your resume to email@example.com
Rediscovered Books has an immediate opening for the position of Events Coordinator. Rediscovered Books is known for its outstanding literary events, knowledgeable staff, broad selection of books, and deep ties to the community including local schools and nonprofit organizations. The Events Coordinator would be responsible for overseeing over 150 in-store and off-site events each year ranging from being a bookseller-partner, to in-store signing events for local and touring authors, to creating community events around a love of books and words. Rediscovered Books has a diverse, close-knit staff of 12-15 full and part-time booksellers.
● Writing persuasive author event proposals and working closely with publishers and authors for book events
● Planning and carefully managing event logistics, including working with off-site venues, and identifying and working with vendors, event partners, and local reading series
● Other detail-oriented tasks as needed that must be executed in a time-sensitive manner in a fast-paced environment
● Working some events to include author care, writing and delivering author introductions, and overseeing events
● Coordinating with multiple bookstore departments including marketing, buying, and floor staff to ensure adequate representation and enthusiasm for each event
● Coordinating public relations with major media outlets including writing press releases and networking with media partners around events and managing social media postings
● Follow up with publishers, authors, and others to deepen relationships and suggest future collaborations, including institutional sales
● Tracking events sales and assessing the profit and loss of the events program on an ongoing basis and via year-end reporting
● Assist in planning occasional special events, including Independent Bookstore Day, Small Business Saturday, Bookstore Birthday and other creative one-time partnerships
● All positions at Rediscovered Books require front desk bookselling
Desired skills and qualifications
● Excellent written skills including experience writing marketing or public relations text
● Excellent oral communication skills including confidence in publicly representing Rediscovered Books
● Strong interpersonal skills including experience-building and maintaining relationships with a diverse network of individuals and organizations
● Good understanding of the Boise community (schools, organizations, politics, etc.)
● Strong organizational skills including attention to detail and ability to shift between a wide variety of projects
● Time management skills and ability to prioritize a large volume of tasks. Project management experience a plus
● Experience with working with media a plus
● Love of books and knowledge of a wide variety of books a must
● Self-motivation, enthusiasm, and willingness to learn
● Availability and willingness to work a mix of days, nights, and weekends
Salary and benefits
● Salary and benefits to be discussed
● Pay is consistent with our industry and includes:
- health insurance
- paid vacation
- bookseller discount
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter, which should include information about a book that changed your life. Incomplete applications will not be considered for an interview. Send your application to Laura DeLaney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bible Societies (UBS) has an exciting opportunity for an exceptional leader to join our global publishing team. The Head of Global Bible Publishing & Distribution will be responsible for ensuring that UBS remains the world leader in Bible publishing by utilizing the latest innovations and technologies to produce high-quality and cost-effective digital and print Bible publications.
The successful applicant will have proven international publishing experience, and will be a gifted leader, project manager, and relationship-builder.
For more information and details on how to apply please visit:
All ABA bookstore members in good standing are entitled to four free two-week Classified Ad insertions in Bookselling This Week each year. BTW Classifieds are the perfect place for booksellers to place help wanted ads, advertise fixtures or stores for sale, and more.
Booksellers interested in placing a Classified Ad should contact ABA’s Liz Button via e-mail or at (800) 637-0037, ext. 7520. The deadline for Classified Ad copy is 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday for an ad in the following day’s edition of BTW.