In order to place a video on your website, the video must first be uploaded to a third party, such as YouTube*. You can then obtain an ‘embed’ code which can be placed on your website.
UPLOAD YOUR VIDEO AND OBTAIN THE EMBED CODE
- Instructions for uploading videos to YouTube can be found here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57407?hl=en
Once you have uploaded the video, navigate to the video page and pull the embed code by:
- Select ‘Share’
- Select ‘Embed’
Expand ‘Show More’ and confirm the following settings are enabled:
- Video size - select your preferred size
- Show player controls
- Show video title and player actions (this is particularly important and it provides closed captioning for your video)
- Enable Privacy-enhanced mode
- Copy the code provided by YouTube
- Save a copy of the code on your computer as a .txt file (Notepad), so you have it saved for future use.
PLACE YOUR EMBED CODE ON YOUR SITE
NOTE: Check to see if your CKEditor (WYSIWYG) has the ‘Media Embed’ option enabled. If you do not see the icon write to firstname.lastname@example.org and ask us to add the Media Embed option to your CKEditor (WYSIWYG) - this provides a separate field in which to paste your embed code and prevents you from losing it upon editing the page later.
Navigate to: Content > Add Content > Content type of choice
- Title - Example: Jon Meacham Interview
- Body (optional) - Provide a description of the video - Example: Jon Meacham visited the store on December 15, 2015.
- Select the ‘Embed Media’ icon
- Paste the code you previously obtained and select ‘OK’
Your video should now be placed on the page for viewing.
*We recommend using YouTube as they provide Closed Captioning for Video which is a requirement for websites to be compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you are using a different service, please let us know and we will look into whether or not it includes a Closed Captioning option and provide instructions if it does.