Booksellers are encouraged to check out the American Booksellers Association’s continuously updated list of titles with good pre-order potential on the ABA website by browsing the Pre-Order Calendar, which specifically features books with added value, such as signed copies and exclusive merchandise, to entice customers to order from their local indie bookstore.
Updated each week, the calendar outlines selected books’ publication dates and details for ordering from publishers (booksellers should note order deadlines). When available, titles on the calendar will also link to a page with publishers’ downloadable digital marketing assets, occasionally including special ads created by ABA that highlight the offer for customers.
In addition to pre-order ads for specific books, ABA has created “Keep It Local” pre-order shelf-talkers, which booksellers can use for their websites and newsletters or print out and use in their stores.
New items available for pre-order are indicated by the date they were added in red. In addition, titles being featured as a pre-order ad in an upcoming Indie Next List flier will have the notation *INL: Month*, or if the book has an ad in the Kids’ Indie Next List, *KNL: Month* will be noted.
Some highlights from the Pre-Order Calendar include:
- Redwood and Ponytail by K.A. Holt (Chronicle Books, 9781452172880, Hardcover, $18.99, Pub date October 1) Added Value: Indie Exclusive bookplates signed by author for pre-order giveaway; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for bookplates (orders due by September 16, bookplates ship by September 20). Extra Offer: Store with the most pre-orders to receive in-person store visit from K.A. Holt. For consideration, e-mail email@example.com with final in-store pre-order sales quantity by October 1. *KNL: Fall*
- The Revisioners by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton (Counterpoint Press, 9781640092587, Hardcover, $25, Pub date November 5) Added Value: Five/$25 co-op (via PGW/Ingram) with a five-copy minimum; orders must be received by October 1 to arrive by November 1. *Reminder: pre-approved e/p newsletter co-op available.
- The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 9780316310420, Hardcover, $19.99, Pub date November 19) Added Value: Order the six-copy signed prepack (carton ISBN: 9780316428903) and receive one pre-order kit and six enamel pins and bookmarks (for pre-order customers). Max of five prepacks/30 pins per store. While supplies last. To receive your kit by the on-sale date, place prepack orders via Edelweiss by September 13. Kits will ship by October 1. Order through Edelweiss. *KNL: Fall*
- Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orisha #2) by Tomi Adeyemi (Henry Holt & Co. BYR, 9781250170996, Hardcover, $19.99, Pub date December 3) Added Value: merchandising and pre-order kit available for free; order through Edelweiss (9781250210548).
- Hunter Killer by Brad Taylor (William Morrow, 9780062886026, Hardcover, $27.99, Pub date January 7) Added Value: 10-copy signed carton (carton ISBN: 9780062991263); limited signed quantities are available while supplies last, publisher will do their best to fulfill demand; store promo should include “limited supply” notice to customers.
Every bookstore has the ability to take pre-orders, either in-store or online, granted they have e-commerce capabilities. Booksellers can review the Pre-Order Calendar for more information or read more about pre-orders in Bookselling This Week.