Booksellers can check out some of the newest additions to the American Booksellers Association’s continuously updated list of titles with good pre-order potential on the ABA website by browsing the Pre-Order Calendar, which specifically features books with added value, such as signed copies and exclusive merchandise, to entice customers to order from their local indie bookstore.
Updated each week, the calendar outlines selected books’ publication dates and details for ordering from publishers (booksellers should note order deadlines). When available, titles on the calendar will also link to a page with publishers’ downloadable digital marketing assets, occasionally including special ads created by ABA that highlight the offer for customers.
In addition to pre-order ads for specific books, ABA has created “Keep It Local” pre-order shelf-talkers, which booksellers can use for their websites and newsletters or print out and use in their stores.
New items available for pre-order are indicated by the date they were added in red. In addition, titles being featured as a pre-order ad in an upcoming Indie Next List flier will have the notation *INL: Month*, or if the book has an ad in the Kids’ Indie Next List, *KNL: Month* will be noted.
Some highlights from the Pre-Order Calendar, all added in recent weeks, include:
- Infinity Son by Adam Silvera (HarperTeen, 9780062457820, Hardcover, $18.99, Publication date January 14, 2020) Added value: eight-copy signed carton (Carton ISBN: 9780062978646) and indie-exclusive signed print for pre-order giveaway; while supplies last. To receive by the on-sale date, place order by December 13, 2019. *KNL: Winter.*
- Little Constructions by Anna Burns (Graywolf Press, 9781644450130, Paperback, $16, Publication date February 18, 2020). *INL: Jan.*
- Writers & Lovers by Lily King (Grove Press, 9780802148537, Hardcover, $27, Publication date March 3, 2020). *INL: Jan.*
- Chosen Ones by Veronica Roth (John Joseph Adams Books/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 9780358164081, Hardcover, $26.99, Publication date April 4, 2020) Added value: six-copy signed carton (Carton ISBN: 9780358405719, order via Edelweiss) and free merchandising kit (Kit ISBN: 9780358414292, order via Edelweiss). Merchandising kits include tabletop easelback, pack of 25 bookmarks, and six zippered pouches for giveaway. Signed cartons and kits available while supplies last. Orders due by January 31, 2020; kits will ship by February 28, 2020.
- Valentine by Elizabeth Wetmore (Harper, 9780062913265, Hardcover, $26.99, Publication date April 4, 2020) Added value: six-copy signed carton (Carton ISBN: 9780062994165); limited signed quantities are available while supplies last, publisher will do their best to fulfill demand; store promo should include “limited supply” notice to customers.
- Shakespeare for Squirrels by Christopher Moore (William Morrow, 9780062434029, Hardcover, $28.99, Publication date May 19, 2020) Indie exclusive cover reveal occurred on November 13. Added value: 10-copy signed carton (carton ISBN: 9780063013025) will include 10 sheets of glow-in-the-dark stickers of stars and character silhouettes, adapted from the cover art; to be used as a pre-order incentive or a gift-with-purchase. Available while supplies last.
Every bookstore has the ability to take pre-orders, either in-store or online, if they have e-commerce capabilities. Booksellers can review the Pre-Order Calendar for more information.