The shortlist for the 2020 Booker Prize was announced on Tuesday, September 15. This year’s shortlist, chosen from a pool of 162 novels published between October 1, 2019, and September 30, 2020, features:
- The New Wilderness by Diane Cook (Oneworld Publications)
- This Mournable Body by Tsitsi Dangarembga (Faber & Faber)
- Burnt Sugar by Avni Doshi (Hamish Hamilton, Penguin Random House)
- The Shadow King by Maaza Mengiste (Canongate Books)
- Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart (Picador, Pan Macmillan)
- Real Life by Brandon Taylor (Originals, Daunt Books Publishing)
The Booker Prize, which launched in 1969, is open to writers of any nationality writing originally in English and published in the U.K.
The winner will be announced in November and will receive £50,000 (about $64,365).