This week, ABA announced the availability of a Book Sense @ 5 Publicity Kit for bookstores participating in the Book Sense marketing program. The publicity pack will be available at BookExpo America and in June's Red Box mailing and is online at www.bookweb.org/education/marketing/.
Book Sense @ 5 Logos
In the Publicity Kit's enclosed letter, Len Vlahos, Book Sense at Five coordinator and BookSense.com director, and Kristen Gilligan, communications and events manager, write: "With Book Sense set to turn five years old this spring, we have an opportunity to trumpet our success to the world. And like the Book Sense program itself, the best way to mount such a publicity effort is through a local, grassroots campaign."
Toward that end, the Book Sense at Five Publicity Kit is designed to help booksellers communicate the "power of Book Sense" to their local media.
The following items are enclosed in the comprehensive kit:
- Publicity primer, which gives booksellers the ins and outs of mounting a publicity campaign;
- Book Sense @ 5 Talking Points, which outlines some key points about Book Sense and independent bookselling to help booksellers when they are talking to the media;
- Suggested Book Sense @ 5 Events, which discusses the myriad events and activities a bookstore can conduct to promote Book Sense's fifth birthday;
- Sample press release on Best Books: The Best of Book Sense From the First Five Years;
- Sample pitch letter on The Book Sense Story: Adversity, Action, Success;
- Book Sense @ 5 logos; and