The American Booksellers Association is sponsoring a free, one-day "Introduction to Retail Bookselling" Seminar, on Monday, May 24, at New York's Javits Convention Center, just prior to the Day of Education and BookExpo America. The seminar, facilitated by the Bookstore Training Group of Paz & Associates, is geared toward people interested in opening a bookstore. Registration is open to ABA provisional members and employees of regular member stores who want to explore the possibility of opening their own stores.
The full-day program will help prospective booksellers understand how much it will cost to open, why margins are tight, how much they can earn, what indicators can help predict whether a community can support an indie bookstore, and what it takes to compete in today’s retail marketplace.
All ABA provisional members are encouraged attend the Introduction to Retail Bookselling Seminar. They are also eligible to participate in ABA's Tuesday, May 25, Day of Education, and to receive a free badge to the BEA trade show.
Registration for the Introduction to Retail Bookselling Seminar is via an electronic form on BookWeb.org. Prospective booksellers who are not currently members of ABA can join and participate in all three events.
Here's a look at the Introduction to Retail Bookselling Seminar schedule:
Morning -- Dollars and Sense
- Introduction to the Book Industry: An overview, including an examination of who buys books (9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.)
- Community Dynamics: Can yours support a bookstore? (10:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.)
- Break (10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.)
- Opening Costs (10:45 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.)
- A Timeline for Opening (11:15 a.m. - 11:35 a.m.)
- Question & Answer Session (11:35 a.m. - Noon)
Lunch (Bring your own bag lunch)
- Group Exercise: How will you compete?(Noon - 1:15 p.m.)
Afternoon -- What to Expect
- How to Compete in Today’s Marketplace (1:15 p.m. - 1:35 p.m.)
- Learning From a Guest Bookseller (1:35 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.)
- Exercise: Skills Assessment (2:15 p.m. -2:30 p.m.)
- Financial Dynamics (2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.)
- Break (3:30 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.)
- How Much You Can Earn (3:45 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.)
- Video: What a Great Bookstore (4:15 p.m. - 4:25 p.m.)
- Trade Show Highlights / Question & Answer Session (4:25 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.)