Independent Bookstore Day (IBD), which will take place on Saturday, August 29, is fast approaching. Below is what booksellers need to know now to prepare for the event.
On Wednesday, August 19, at 1:00 p.m. ET, ABA will host a live, online, instructional webinar during which a member of the IndieCommerce team will discuss options for adding Independent Bookstore Day 2020 products to IndieCommerce and IndieLite websites.
The webinar will cover how to create booklists and other content for the event, how to manage IBD orders through IndieCommerce/IndieLite sites, and other resources available. Questions raised during the session will also be addressed.
- All merchandise orders will ship form Ingram’s Tennessee warehouse this week, with booksellers receiving them this week or next, depending on their location.
- Items can be displayed at any time but may not be sold until August 29 (this includes online, not August 19 as previously announced). Booksellers are asked not to hold items for customers in advance.
- No discounting until September 29.
- Booksellers can talk to their Ingram rep about ordering additional items on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Share your IBD party plans to help with publicity.
- Visit the “For the Trade” section of the website to access the following:
Kids’ and YA events:
- 1:00 p.m. ET: Lisa Brown drawing class from Goldfish Ghost
- 1:30 p.m. ET: Gene Luen Yang (Dragon Hoops) graphic novel discussion and tips
- 2:00 p.m. ET: Middle Grade Fun with Renee Watson (Ways to Make Sunshine) and illustrator Nina Mata (I Promise) with moderator Isaac Fitzgerald (How to Be a Pirate)
- 3:00 p.m. ET: Feminist, Fantasy YA with Kat Cho (Wicked Fox and Vicious Spirits), Rena Barron (Kingdom of Souls and Reaper of Souls), and Rebecca Kim Wells (Shatter the Sky).
- 4:00 p.m. ET: Amor Towles reading and discussing his book You Have Arrived at Your Destination
- 5:00 p.m. ET: Writing the West with Reyna Grande (The Distance Between Us), Lauren Francis-Sharma (Book of the Little Axe) and Rishi Reddi (Passage West: A Novel)
- 6:00 p.m. ET: Telling the Stories of the Pandemic: Allstar Author Panel from Alone Together: Stories of Love, Grief, and Comfort in the Time of COVID-19 (all profits from the book benefit the Book Industry Charitable Foundation)
- 8:00 p.m. ET: Bookstore Day Ambassador Showcase with Tayari Jones (An American Marriage), Lauren Groff (Fates & Furies and Florida) and Emma Straub (All Adults Here)
Visit the Independent Bookstore Day website to learn more about the annual event. Watch Bookselling This Week in the coming weeks for more information about Independent Bookstore Day, or sign up for the IBD newsletter.