Independent businesses nationwide are once again preparing for the summer shop-local event featuring the classic children’s book character Waldo.
Find Waldo Local is an annual event co-sponsored by Candlewick Press and the American Booksellers Association that invites children to pick up event passports at any of 250 participating independent bookstores across the country; the passports guide customers on scavenger hunts through local small business communities during the month of July, as children and families seek the elusive bespectacled picture book character to earn stamps toward fun prizes.
Here are a few announcements of what’s to come for this year:
- Brilliant Books in Traverse City, Michigan, hosted its Find Waldo Local campaign a month early to avoid congestion caused by the National Cherry Festival and the Traverse City Film Festival. This year, the store created a two-minute “micro-documentary” that detailed the early appearance as a way for Waldo to practice ahead of the July events.
- In Brooklyn, New York, Greenlight Bookstore shared that Waldo will be hiding in 25 local business around Fort Greene and Prospect Lefferts Gardens.
- Jane Addams Bookshop in Champaign, Illinois, shared that children in the community can find Waldo in locations such as the Bossa Nova Cafe, the Champaign County History Museum, Circles Boutique, and, of course, the bookshop.
- Square Books Jr., a dedicated children’s bookstore in Oxford, Mississippi, shared that children can search for Waldo in businesses around the square starting July 1.
- Branches Books & Gifts in Oakhurst, California, told community members that the Where’s Waldo Local Hunt begins Monday, July 1.
- Avid Bookshop in Athens, Georgia, shared that Waldo was looking for a good place to hide at the K.A. Artists Shop.
- Brick & Mortar Books in Redmond, Washington, said, “It’s that time of year again…WALDO IS BACK!”
- In Farmington, Maine, Waldo will be at Devaney, Doak & Garrett Booksellers, among other local shops.
Find Waldo Local runs July 1 to July 31. Participating booksellers are invited to send photos and anecdotes to BTW at email@example.com.