Stories Bookshop + Storytelling Lab Seeks General Manager
Stories Bookshop + Storytelling Lab is looking to hire a General Manager to oversee all aspects of our retail operations and lab programming. This is a chance to work in close partnership with the owners and as part of a tight-knit team to grow Stories into a sustainable business that will enrich the lives of children throughout Brooklyn and beyond! We are looking for a manager who is an excellent collaborator, inspiring leader, master organizer, and is passionate about children’s literature and education.
In addition to operational responsibilities, a portion of the role will be tailored to the chosen candidate’s unique talents, experience, and interests, as well as the evolving needs of the business. Prior experience in a management position in an organization that involves work with children and/or children’s literature or arts programming is required.
● Independent oversight of all day-to-day bookstore and lab operations, including customer service, merchandising, stock and supply management, daily scheduling, cash management and facility upkeep/cleaning.
● Coordination of purchasing, receiving, inventory management, shipping and returns.
● Management of on-site and off-site event booking and logistics, including scheduling, staffing, and stocking.
● Preparation and coordination, with owners, of store budgets, invoicing, and accounts payable.
● Development and continuous improvement of operating policies, systems and procedures.
● Recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling, and full day-to-day supervision of staff.
● Additional responsibilities based on experience, talents, and interests, as well as the evolving needs of the business.
● 4+ years of management experience in an organization that involves work with children.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills and customer service abilities.
● Strong organizational abilities and attention to detail.
● Ability to work well with others to get the job done and tolerate stress when faced with pressure, uncertainty, or last-minute changes.
● Able to communicate with owners, staff, customers, and the community at large in a positive and helpful manner while simultaneously building credibility and rapport.
● Passion for and knowledge of children’s literature.
● High level of proficiency with computer systems, including word processing, spreadsheets, calendaring and e-mail; Google’s G Suite is preferred.
● Scheduling flexibility, including ability to work weekends and evenings.
● Ability to bend, reach, lift boxes of 30-40 lbs and go up and down stairs throughout the day.
This is a full-time position with salary, bonus and benefits commensurate with experience and performance. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. To apply, please send a resume and statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stories Bookshop + Storytelling Lab is a children’s bookstore located in Park Slope, Brooklyn. We opened in May, 2016 and were founded by wife-and-husband team Maggie Pouncey and Matt Miller. We stock a beautiful collection of children’s books for ages zero through young adult, with a section for grown-ups, too. And we teach a rich catalogue of children’s classes in our adjacent lab space. We believe growing up in a world of books can make all the difference, and that storytelling is a vital art, one that in our digitally-saturated age, deserves and demands preservation.